Thursday, February 5, 2009

Coupon course 101

Dont forget to enter the giveaway here!

First lets get familiar with the coupons that come in our Sunday paper. I personally get 5 Sunday papers. I take the coupons and then take my paper to our recycling bin at my sons' school. They get paid per pound so it is a plus for them also.

This is the Smart Source. When looking at a website that has a sale price listed it will also tell you the coupon. Smart Source is SS. If you see SS-1 or SS-2 then it means that 2 Smart Sources were in that Sunday's paper.


This is the Red Plum. The abbreviations for this is RP. I know pretty obvious huh!! lol There is also a Proctor and Gamble coupon packet that comes once a month. I don't have a picture for that but the abbreviations for that are...you guessed it P&G
This is the simple version of couponing. I did this until I was familiar with different stores and clearance prices. Then I went to the coupon binder. I will explain that a little later. So for this system which I recommend for any beginner, you just mark the date of the Sunday you received the coupon. This example came on Feb. 1st. So I just put 2-1 on the front of each packet.
LOL I didn't notice the KY ad on the front!! lol SSSOOO anyway...Once all your coupons are dated you will take the group of packets and put them in a marked folder. I have a folder for Smart Source, Red Plum, Proctor and Gamble, and Misc. (for all those coupons that are not in these packets. This is a great place to store your printables.)
Then you put the folder in the File Box
Then shut the lid!! You are done!!
When you pull up your shopping list it might say for example: ss 2/1 $1.00 So you just go to your trusty file box, look for smart source 2-1 and then find your coupon.
This is the perfect way of doing coupons if you don't want the hassle of cutting everything out. The rule for keeping coupons is 5 months for the Smart Source and Red Plum; 3 months for Proctor and Gamble. I know that there will be some coupons that expire during that time but by the time 5 months rolls around every coupon will be expired.

Make sure that you have 1 newspaper for every person in your family. I have a 2 year old and even though she doesn't eat a lot she still uses diapers, shampoo, etc.

Coming up next: the coupon binder


Happy Shopping

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cami, are you doing the grocersmarts.com? Just out of curiosity. :) My sister in law has been running the classes. She feeds 9 people in her household and used to never buy anything name brand until she started doing the coupons.

She went from spending $500 a month, to $150 a month! WOW!!!

She was just bragging to me that she had bought $60 worth of makeup for $25! Keep it up!